Friday, August 19, 2005

Another note on music

After listening to alot of Fijian music last night, I remembered that I forgot to add that the slower stuff sounds alot like country with a bit of an island twist. Which may be why Shania's remix is so popular, though I wouldn't consider her very country.

There is steel guitar, which started as hawaiian, but got into R&B, which back then meant country music. And from there to electrical guitars and surf music and rock and roll.

There are also so many words that sound like spanish words that I know (I don't know spanish.)

Oh yeah, and Kenny Rogers is big here too. I was watching the local video request show, and one of the givaway prizes is a Kenny Rogers CD. I've heard "Coward of the County" ("you don't have to fight to be a man...") twice now, and heard someone singing "The Gambler."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home